Friday, June 12, 2009

Priceless!

We have just started with formal classes in school. Since I love teaching and I want to get to know the new children better, I have been teaching Grade 4 English for the past two days. As I met the children, most of them seemed as if they were sizing me up. Was I to be trusted? Would they dare speak in front of the Principal?

After telling them about who I was and letting them know that I, too, am human, most children warmed up. I noticed someone in the back, though. He was one of the tiniest boys. He didn't want to make eye contact. He wasn't responding. I was cracking jokes and making everyone smile, everyone except him. I asked him to sit up front since I knew we weren't making too much progress. I made it a point to look at him when I discussed what we were to do.

Later, as I asked the children to write, he was the first to have his work checked. He was also the first to finish the whole task. I gave him extra strokes for his hard work. He beamed at me! He even helped his classmates put up their work on the board. His confidence level was up. He even had the courage to compliment me on the work I did.

How priceless it is to have made that connection!

Photo credit: http://www.millstone.k12.nj.us/teachers/camposl/teecher.gif

2 comments:

  1. You are really amazing! These children needed someone to help them lift up their spirits and you are there for them. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog. I do hope that someone would always be there for the children. God bless you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete