Monday, June 8, 2009

As We Begin

When I was a little girl, I was always excited to start a new school year. I loved it that I had new shoes, new notebooks, and new uniforms. I was also very proud of the fact that either my Mom or Dad would take me to school. It was more than 20 years ago when I was in Grade School, yet these memories are so vivid to me.

Tonight, the night before we begin school in Food for Hungry Minds - Makati, I feel like a school girl once again. Just a few minutes ago, I got my uniform from the cabinet, arranged the things I needed in my bag, and even prepared the shoes and socks I will wear. I feel giddy thinking about beginning school tomorrow not because of new shoes, or new clothes, or being brought to school by my parents the next day. My excitement stems from the anticipation of what is to come as we embark on a new chapter in Hungry Minds history.

This year, there will be 61 new 4th graders in FHMS Makati and Malolos. We will also welcome back our 5th and 6th graders, now taller and more confident than they were last year. The teachers prepared well for this school year. We had in-house training in Math and reviewed SIOP teaching strategies. We also had meetings tweaking our curriculum in light of the lessons we learned from using this last year.

As we start another academic year, I know that things will not be easy. They have never been. Yet, I welcome this challenge just as I welcome all our new students and families in FHMS Makati and Malolos. Together, we will write this story of how lives are enriched and transformed in Hungry Minds.


Photo Credit: http://www.gilgenart.com/gallery/transformation-s.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment