Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Poem on the Wall

As part of cultivating a culture of innovation and creativity in Food for Hungry Minds, teachers were asked to come up with something different this year. They could choose to do any project as long as it is in line with their work.

Teacher Kristal, one of the FHMS Malolos teachers, decided to put a Freedom Wall. This is was a venue for the children to express their thoughts. There would be an article posted every week and the children could write respond to the article.


Here is a poem written on Teacher Kristal's Innovation Project, The Freedom Wall. The author is Ica (not her real name), a sixth grader whose father suffered from a stroke when she was so much younger. Her mother sells food in their store at home. Living in a one-room house with only some chairs for furniture, I am touched by the way she could have such a strong sense of self inspite of their difficulties.

I am

I am cheerful and generous
I wonder what the world should be
I hear chirping birds
I see glowing stars every night
I want to spy on the world
I am cheerful and generous

I pretend to be one with the swaying trees
I feel happiness inside of me
I touch a crying heart
I worry about how flowers glow
I miss the happy moments that passed
I am cheerful and generous

I understand how a child should grow
I say, "Let's stand together in unity"
I dream of a peaceful world
Yet I hear its sorrow
I hope a time will come that we will be as one
I am cheerful and generous.

8 comments:

  1. How inspiring and hope-filled, Candy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sister! This project was an offshoot of our Creative and Entrepreneurial Management class my batch had with you. I think it was Art who said he would ask his teachers to try to do something new. You also said we had to nurture a creative culture. Here's the product! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is really a tenacious girl. If one only knows how she managed to become part of FHMS....she literally "forced" her mother, who was then discouraging her from applying at FHMS, to accompany her so she will be given a chance. She reminds you of the great vocation of being a teacher. One day, if I will only have one memory of a student that I touched in a very special way, it will be that of her. I am proud to have known her. And more proud to be considered a second father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an honor to watch her grow and transform, George. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about this entry is beautiful; a teacher who sees the gem in her children and nurtures it, a group of people who collectively come together to awaken creativity, and a child made eloquent from the hope she sees in life and in the angels around her. This is a good thing and I pray it extends not only for 5 more but for 500 more years. May you be blessed always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a blessing to hear from you, Rod. Your support for Hungry Minds is invaluable and we are truly grateful. May your tribe multiply! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candy, the freedom wall demonstrates the possibilities available if we empower and encourage teachers to innovate. And ultimately the innovations boil down to lives like Ica's being touched in a more special way. Congratulations to teacher Kristal and to you! Keep it up! - Art

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Art, especially for sharing this idea with us in class. It seemed so simple then, but look at where it has brought us! :)

    ReplyDelete